Thursday, January 25, 2018

Expanding Diversity in My Reading

Hello, followers!

As I've spoken about in my 2018 Bookish Resolutions, I'm trying a lot harder to incorporate a wider spread of diversity in my readings. In order to help track myself, I'm going to try to incorporate a "diversity score" into my reviews! This isn't to say that any book is *better* representation than another because of my arbitrary system, but I'm going to try to use this as a benchmark to expand the range of books that I'm reading.

Here's the system I'm going to try:

Authors:

+5
Own Voices


-or-

+3
LGBTQIA+ author

Author of color
Author who has spoken about his/her mental illness or physical disability

Main Characters:

+2
Main character of color

LGBTQIA+ main character
Main character with mental illness
Main character with a physical disability

Love Interest:

+2
Multi-racial main relationship

Main relationship with different sexualities (i.e. gay and bisexual)
Love interest has mental illness or a physical disability

Supporting Characters:

+1
Supporting LGBTQIA+ character

Supporting character of color
Supporting character with mental illness or a physical disability



No comments:

Post a Comment