Monday, November 30, 2015

Review: The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner The Maze Runner by James Dashner
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Wow. I feel terrible giving this book a bad review after all the hype I've heard, but this book did absolutely nothing for me.

First, I couldn't stand the main character. His personality is incredibly annoying to the other characters, which could be an interesting device, but it did nothing but annoy me as well. The second he woke up in a new environment, he began acting like he knew the place. For someone who is supposed to be smart, he took absolutely no time to learn the environment or situation of his new life and just began spewing answers.

Which leads me to the next major point, that all the answers were too easy. Thomas's world-changing suggestions were nothing that any other "smart" kid couldn't have come up with. (view spoiler). (view spoiler). (view spoiler). Nothing Thomas did was impressive enough to make me believe that no one else had done it in previous two years.

The whole time there's too much going on and yet nothing resolves or connects to one another. There is no real resolution to (view spoiler). And the biggest peeve of mine is that the outside world of the Creators doesn't hold enough weight or importance. Novels like The Hunger Games and Divergent follow the same model of the main character being trapped in the system > solving the system > facing the government > overthrowing the government, but this plot fizzled out once the Maze part was solved.

I may or may not pick up the next books for the sake of satiating my curiosity, but I won't be bothering with the movie.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment