Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday!

10 Songs That I Wish Were Books
(I know I'm a day late, but I couldn't pass this one up!)


1. Hey There Delilah - The Plain White T's


"If every simple song I wrote to you would take your breath away I'd write it all. Even more in love with me you'd fall. We'd have it all."
I actually have a work-in-progress story of my own going inspired by this song: a songwriter hopelessly in love with a girl from his past, trying to get his song big so she'll hear it and know he loves her. Doesn't this song just make you want to write?

2. Sirens - The Weepies


"I hear the voice of sirens singing in the street. I thought they night be calling out for you, for me."


This song lends itself perfectly to a story. You've got a mythological creature, longing, heartbreak, etc.

3. Drops of Jupiter - Train


"She acts like summer and walks like rain. Reminds me that there's time to change."


I think of this being something like Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. The lyrics build such a unique snapshot of this girl's personality that I think it would be an awesome character study.

4. The Ticket - ALO


"I bought my ticket for the 15th century. We started moving through a hole in history."


This would obviously be a time travel story, but what I love about this song is the upbeat electronic feel. Imagine a sci-fi story where time travel isn't dark and intense but rather fun and quirky? I'd be all about that!

5. Almost - Bowling For Soup


"I almost got popped for a fight with a thug cause he almost made off with a bunch of the drugs that I almost got hooked on cause you went away and I wish I woulda had the nerve to ask you to stay."




You've got your whole story right in the lyrics: the hilarious misadventures of a guy chasing the girl he loves.

6. Iscariot - Walk the Moon


"But tell me, are you even aware that all that we do, you undo? Iscariot, you fool."



Okay, so this one is already a book and it's called the Bible. But I love what this song did with religious imagery and turned it into a generic tale of betrayal. I'd love to see a book use the same concept and emotions.

7. Mr. Brightside - The Killers


"But she's touching his chest now. He takes off her dress now. Let me go. I just can't look it's killing me and taking control."



Despite its synthpop feel, this has always hit me as one of the best pictures of heartbreak. Flesh out the "characters" and this would make an awesome story.

8. There's a Good Reason Why These Tables Are Numbered Honey You Just Haven't Thought of it Yet - Panic! at the Disco


"Oh and the smokes in that cigarette box on the table they just so happened to be laced with nitroglycerin ... Haven't you heard that I'm the new cancer. Never looked better and you can't stand it."



This is my all time favorite Panic! song - and can't you just see it? The setting is a 1920s speakeasy, everything is the height of fashion, and the club owner is secretly a cold blooded killer? Yes please!

9. Set Fire to the Third Bar - Snow Patrol


"I find a map and draw a straight line, over rivers, farms, and state lines. The distance from 'A' to where you'd 'B.' It's only finger-lengths that I see."



I can see this as a poignant romance story with a cool map or road-trip feel. Maybe something about two lovers finding each other over a long distance?

10. Jamie All Over - Mayday Parade


"And please don't tell me that I'm dreaming when all I ever wanted was to dream another sunset with you."



Call me an emo kid, but this has always been my anthem for young love. You could associate just about any teen romance novel with this, but damn do I love the "story" in the song.

Weekly feature courtesy of The Broke and the Bookish Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment