Monday, November 30, 2015

Review: Nobody's Princess

Nobody's Princess Nobody's Princess by Esther M. Friesner
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

It's books like this that I can never believe are actually published.

The premise is a retelling of the story of Helen of Troy as a young teen. I understand, Helen of Troy was gorgeous and everyone loved her, but this was played up to a sickening degree in the book. Everything went right for her and there was hardly any conflict. It felt as if whenever she was in trouble, she just had to show her pretty face and everyone would dive to her aid.

The narration was also very week. It was very simplistic, flat, and, well, like a whiny teenager. Just a few chapters in and I was already sick of hearing Helen's voice.

Lastly, it is meant to be set in ancient Greece, but the atmosphere hardly feels as if it is. It reads like a story about a modern teen who will mention the name of a Greek god every so often.

Whatever you're looking for--romance, adventure, Greek history, or a strong female protagonist--I can assure you that you won't find it in this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment